Advantages and Disadvantages of Covid-19 Tracker App
Where countries are putting together efforts to find a definitive solution to COVID 19, some have sought digital aide to mitigate the widespread of this pandemic. Students, Professionals, and researchers have developed mobile apps that can assist you to spot affected patients. How these apps are coming to effect, what are their limitations, uses, and benefits? Details are compiled in Advantages and Disadvantages of COVID 19 Tracker App.
Every Coronavirus Tracker App works on a similar method by which you can identify the contacts who may have been infected. These apps utilize the data collected based on the user’s geolocation, phone number, health status, etc.
List of Coronavirus Tracking App Developed Lately
1. Close Contact Detector App - China
Official App launched by the Chinese Government to monitor the population. According to Xinhua, a health transport authority, this app is jointly developed by the Government & Chinese Electronics Technology Group.
Advantages of Coronavirus Tracker App – Close Contact Detector
- Users can know if they have been near a person suspected to be affected by COVID-19.
- You can scan a QR code on your smart devices to get registered.
- After registration, you can use your Id number, Name, and Phone number to check the status of at least 3 people using by entering their respective Id numbers.
- Users can use the Close Contact Detector through Alipay or WeChat.
Disadvantages of COVID 19 Tracker App – CCD (China)
Even though this app is used in more than 200 Chinese cities at the moment, there are some privacy concerns including:
- Access to personal information and geographical location.
- User’s data exposure.
2. Trace Together App– Singapore
The TraceTogether App is released by the Singapore Government Agency to help track possible infected cases of COVID 19. This Coronavirus Tracking App is designed by SGUnited, GovTech and the Ministry of Health of Singapore.
Advantages of COVID 19 Tracking App Tracetogether
Tracetogether App simplifies the complex process of tracking your last activities in the past 14 days which is not possible if done manually.
- You can use this app through Bluetooth and identify other nearby phones with the app installed.
- This app lets you recognize the close contacts and encounters you had with others.
- You can launch this through 4 simple steps which are, Registering your Mobile number, enabling your push notification, and Turning Bluetooth on.
- Your personal information remains confidential for 21 days and can’t be accessed by anyone (including government authorities).
- In case you are identified as infected, only then will your details be accessed.
Disadvantages of Coronavirus Tracking App-Trace Together
The only apparent drawback of tracetogether app for Coronavirus tracking is that it uses your phone’s Bluetooth. Some devices may not be visible to other phones even if they are staying in the vicinity.
- Identifying an infected person is more difficult when the other person has not a Bluetooth-enabled phone or is having no smartphone at all.
- A problem may also arise if other users have not made their Bluetooth visibility detectable to nearby devices.
3. eRouška (eFacemask) COVID-19 App – Czech Republic
Inspired by Singapore, this Coronavirus app is developed as an open-source application by a Local IT Company in the Czech Republic to detect and prevent COVID-19 infections.
Pros and Cons of COVID-19 app eFacemask
eFacemask are similar to that of Trace Together developed by Singapore.
4. COVID Symptom Tracker App-UK
COVID Symptom Tracker app UK is designed for Apple devices to slow the spread of COVID-19 by self-reporting your symptoms daily. Contributing to data gathering on Coronavirus, this app is capable to spot your symptoms even if you feel well despite being infected.
This app is the second most downloaded app in the UK while the government is all set to launch its official contact-tracing app (allying with Apple and Google) to track the spread.
Advantages of COVID Symptom Tracker App
- It is the easiest tool to predict COVID-19 symptoms even if you don’t exhibit any.
- COVID Symptom Tracker App takes less time to load and run.
- You can keep track of your health as well as the ones near you.
- It keeps you updated with a centralized database of cases found so far nation-wide.
Disadvantages of COVID Symptom Tracker App
- Many users have found this app buggy and had reported with login issues.
- COVID Symptom Tracker App also falls short of being incredibly helpful to scientists and data analysts.
- This apps seems inadequate to find out symptoms in the patients who were affected by Coronavirus earlier and recovered later.
Major Disadvantages of COVID-19 Tracker App
- With more stress out on user’s privacy and widespread of the pandemic, Mountains of user data is one the edge of exposure.
- Some privacy campaigners have objected to the bulk of their details by the government authorities.
- On the flip side, even the leading nations have no further provisions or backup continuity plan to handling bulk user data which may lead to critical server issues like data handling and redundancies.
- Where many believe that Coronavirus Tracking apps are an effective tool to mitigate the outbreak, technologists also warn that apps may not be as effective as actually testing the population.
Given the circumstances and a little time to deal with the pandemic, every effort, and every breakthrough is at a high priority. Many countries have hinted to collaborate with tech giants to prevent further spread of coronavirus disease. Prevention is better than cure, and smartphones are what everyone has at their disposal to safeguard from infection easily.