Advantages and Disadvantages of Hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine tablets are an easy and most convenient way to stay immune. Some common uses and potential benefits of HCQ are listed here for further awareness of users. Hydroxychloroquine or Disease-Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug (DMARD) is used widely for treating Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) and Malaria under the brand name Plaquenil.
You can only take HCQ pill or Plaquenil since there is no alternate method for its use. Some advantages and disadvantages of Hydroxychloroquine tablets based on medical research and thesis will assist you to uncover the facts in brief.Terms Used: Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, HCQ, HCQ Sulphate, Chloroquine, and Plaquenil.
Advantages of Hydroxychloroquine or HCQ Sulphate
Used to prevent malaria infection and other auto-immune diseases, HCQ is also prescribed to treat Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis. HCQ (Plaquenil) interferes with the communication of cells in the immune system.
1. Effective Antimalarial Drug
HCQ is one of the oldest prescribed drugs that is still used in medical practice to treat acute malaria attacks. This drug also offers an effective treatment if used as a part of combination therapy (taken with other medications).
2. Plaquenil Treats Type -1 & Type-2 Diabetes
A study documented by the US National Institutes of Health in 2011 shows that Hydroxychloroquine 200mg tablet is effective in improving Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol. This study also brings out evidence that HCQ therapy is effective for Type-1 and Type-2 Diabetes treatment.
3. Treats Skin Problems and Swelling
A regular Hydroxychloroquine Dosage among Lupus patients is known to alleviate skin problems, treat swelling, and pain among arthritic patients. However, little evidence is available as to how HCQ Sulphate works.
4. Prevents Stomach Upset
An HCQ Sulfate dose taken with food or milk treats the stomach upset. Kindly, consult your healthcare provider for the right dosage depending on your current medical condition and response to its effects.
5. Treats Severe Acute Respiratory Diseases
Documented research on 60 triaged patients in china reveals the potential advantages of Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate. According to a case study published online on 4th April 2020, 60 Chinese patients underwent a clinical trial in two groups of 30 patients each. One group received Hydroxychloroquine oral treatment and the other group had other medical. The group receiving Hydroxychloroquine showed improvement in immunity.
FDA has authorized emergency use of Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate for treatment of Coronavirus affected adolescents and adults weighing 50 kg or more.
What are Hydroxychloroquine Adverse Effects?
Given an antimalarial drug should not be taken without prior consultation, you may experience following Disadvantages of Hydroxychloroquine dosage upon a long-term or short-term use.
1. Early Symptoms
If you have started taking HCQ Sulphate tablets orally, the possible Hydroxychloroquine Adverse Effects may start appearing as early symptoms including; weakness, trembling or shaking, sweating, light-headedness, headache, dizziness, lack of concentration, tearfulness or crying, irritability, hunger and numbness around the lips and fingers.
These symptoms may be associated with hypoglycemia; If you experience any of these, you need to raise your blood glucose urgently.
2. Less Serious Side Effects of Hydroxychloroquine Dosage
Less serious side effects of HCQ sulfate are associated with stomach sickness resulting in Nausea, Abdominal cramps, vomiting, and Diarrhoea. Interaction of HCQ with other medicines may also lead to other problems like Dizziness, Loss of Appetite, Muscle weakness, Skin rashes, itchiness, and nervousness.
3. More Serious Side Effects of Hydroxychloroquine Dosage
In case you feel any of these side effects of taking HCQ tablets, contact your healthcare provider for seeking urgent medical attention.
- Visual disturbances
- Any hearing loss
- Suicidal behavior
- Frequent fevers, severe chills, bruising, sore throat or mouth ulcers (these may be signs of blood reactions)
More severe symptoms of hypoglycemia, including:
- Loss of consciousness
- Seizures, fits or convulsions
- Fast or irregular heartbeats
Things to do before taking Hydroxychloroquine tablets
You must tell your healthcare provider if:
- You are allergic to quinine.
- You have experienced low blood sugar levels
- You have any pre-existing eye disorders.
You have or have had any of these medical conditions:
- Salt imbalance in the blood
- Chloroquine-resistant malaria
- Stomach, brain or blood disorders
- Liver or kidney problems
- Disease of the heart muscle
- Heart rhythm disorders
- Heart attack
- Skin diseases, in particular, psoriasis which is a kind of itchy rash
Advisory for Patients on Hydroxychloroquine Dosage
- Keep your Hydroxychloroquine Tablets in a bottle until it' is time to take them. If you take the tablets out of the bottle they will not keep well.
- Keep it in a cool dry place with a temperature below 25°C. Heat and dampness can destroy some medicines. Do not leave Plaquenil in the car on hot days.
- Do not store Plaquenil or any other medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Keep Plaquenil where young children cannot reach it. Children are particularly sensitive to the unwanted effects of Plaquenil.
Active Ingredients of Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate
Each Hydroxychloroquine 200mg Tablet contains:
- Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate Dihydrate
- Magnesium Stearate
- Macrogol 400
- Titanium dioxide
- Polysorbate 80
- Carnauba Wax
- Black Ink
Attention: Please talk to your doctor before starting or discontinuing a Hydroxychloroquine dosage.
Other Common Trade Names of Hydroxychloroquine Sulphate:
- Axemal (in India)